Spring 2016 or Winter Intersession Initial Class Assignment for:
Internet Legal Research
Instructor: Dr. Steiner
First class date: Monday, Jan. 11th
Posting date: Dec 23, 2015 @ 13:41:10
Do all these things before we meet on Monday, January 11th.
1. Read for the first day, chapters 1, 3-6, and 10 of Scroggs and
Waters, Free Internet Legal Research (for the second day, read
chapters 2 and 9). The book should be in the bookstore by
Wednesday, January 4th or so.
2. Register at PACER for Case Search Only,
You have to provide a credit card when you register but PACER
doesn't bill for usage under $10 per quarter and we will be under
3. Register for Online Services at the Harris County District
4. Register for email newsletters for a particular practice area
at both Findlaw and Justia. You will have to register but
registration is free at both sites (newsletters.findlaw.com/;
law.justia.com/subscribe). Pick a practice area that might be
useful to you.
5. Pick two legal blogs to follow. Pick two that you aren't
already familiar with and might actually be useful to you. Be
sure to pick blogs with frequent posts. For a selection
of blogs, try the ABA Blawg Directory (www.abajournal.com/blawgs/)
or the list compiled by the State Bar of Texas (Google: State Bar
Texas Law Blogs).
6. Before the first class, send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
explaining your choices of newsletters and blog.
Class will be held in the large computer lab on the third floor of
the library. We start at 9:00.