Fall 2015 or Summer Intersession Initial Class Assignment for:
Internet Legal Research
Instructor: Dr. Steiner
First class date: Monday, August 10th
Posting date: Aug 4, 2015 @ 13:32:46
Do all this stuff before we meet on Monday, August 10th.
1. Read for the first day, chapters 1, 3-6, and 10 of Scroggs and
Waters, Free Internet Legal Research (for the second day, read
chapters 2 and 9). The book should be in the bookstore by
Wednesday, August 5th.
2. Register at PACER for Case Search Only,
You have to provide a credit card when you register but PACER
doesn't bill for usage under $10 per quarter and we will be under
3. Register for Online Services at the Harris County District Clerk
4. Register for email newsletters for a particular practice area at
both Findlaw and Justia. You will have to register but registration
is free at both sites (newsletters.findlaw.com/;
law.justia.com/subscriptions). Pick a practice area that might be
useful to you.
5. Pick two legal blogs to follow. Pick two that you aren't already
familiar with and might actually be useful to you. Be sure to pick
blogs with frequent posts. For a selection
of blogs, try the ABA Blawg Directory (www.abajournal.com/blawgs/)
or the list compiled by the State Bar of Texas (Google: State Bar
Texas Law Blogs).
6. Before the first class, send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
explaining your choices of newsletters and blog.
Class will be held in the large computer lab on the third floor of
the library. We start at 9:00.