ABOUT THE LAW REVIEW
The South Texas Law Journal was the idea of Clair E. Getty, Jr., the first Editor in Chief of the journal. Although Mr. Getty has since passed away, his vision of a student-edited law journal has carried on.
Formed in the Fall of 1953, the South Texas Law Journal was funded with endowments from a number of leading Houston individuals and firms including: Baker & Botts; Andrews & Shepherd; Bonham, Stanley & Campbell; Gerald S. Gordon; Hutcheson, Taliaferro & Hutcheson; Elliot A. Johnson; Schlumberger Oil Well Services; James F.H. Lee; Lidell, Austin, Dawson & Huggins; Vinson, Elkins, Weems & Searls; E.E. Townes and the Alumni Association. At its inception, the Journal was the only standard law review in the nation edited entirely by students of an evening law school.
The inaugural issue of the South Texas Law Journal was printed in April 1954, with the following students serving as editors: Clair E. Getty, Jr., Editor in Chief; James Watson Davis, Case Editor; Harry Hutchens, Associate Case Editor; Rose Marke Murray, Book Review Editor; O.L. Sanders, Jr., Legislation Editor; and J. Phil McGown, Jr., Exchange Editor. Originally bound in a red and white cover, which was the most inexpensive at the time, the Journal changed its binding to the current light beige with navy blue print in 1985. On November 25, 1985, the journal changed its name to South Texas Law Review.