Exam Soft FAQ
Computer Examination Frequently Asked Questions
Who can I contact on-site to assist with computer issues related to ExamSoft?
- For Technical issues, please call the Information Systems department at 713-659-8040 ext. 1555.
- If you have problems downloading or uploading your exam files, contact the Office of the Registrar at (713) 646-1701.
Who do I contact to troubleshoot issues with ExamSoft/SofTest?
Who is ExamSoft?
ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. is a software developer specializing in computerized assessment and assessment administration programs.
What is the cost for ExamSoft?
There is NO fee for using ExamSoft.
What is SofTest from ExamSoft?
SofTest is a high stakes assessment program developed and licensed by ExamSoft that enables exam takers to securely take examinations downloaded to their own laptop computers by blocking access to files, programs, and the Internet during an exam.
What is FlexSite?
FlexSite is ExamSoft's Internet-based exam delivery option. Using SofTest, you will download your exam(s) prior to exam day and upload your answer(s) after the exam via the Internet. You WILL NOT require Internet connectivity during your exam(s). You WILL require Internet connectivity to download your exam(s) and upload your answer(s).
Will SofTest work on my computer?
SofTest operates on any PC running Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. SofTest also operates on Apple computers running Boot Camp and Windows XP, Vista, or 7. SofTest is not compatible with any virtual machine software such as VMware Fusion or Parallels.
- The minimum recommended system requirements are:
- CPU = 1 GHz Pentium III or Industry Equivalent
- RAM = 1 GB MB
- Hard Drive = 50 MB of free space
- Operating System = 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Software = Internet browser
- Minimum Screen Resolution = 1024 x 768
- Internet Access for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- When taking any secure exam, disable the antivirus software before taking the exam and re-enable it after exiting your exam
In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro natively, you must have:
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 512 MB
- Drives = 50 MB or higher free disk space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.5.8 or higher (Leopard or Snow Leopard)
- Software = Internet connection for downloading/uploading exams
How do I login to ExamSoft?
- Visit your Custom Home Page: www.examsoft.com/stcl
- Log in under "Exam Takers" using your ID and password.
Enter your Student ID (G#) (Example: G00000000)
Enter your password (Birthdate in 6-digit format) (Example: MMDDYY)
Upon registration completion, you will receive an email message from ExamSoft confirming registration.
How reliable is SofTest?
- SofTest has a considerable number of safety features to ensure that answers typed into SofTest cannot be lost. They include:
An AutoSave feature that automatically saves your exam every sixty seconds.
Multiple encrypted backup copies of the exam answer file are saved.
The ability to undo up to 50 of the previous actions per essay question window.
If I used SofTest last year, do I have to perform all steps again?
If you used SofTest for the previous semester, you are not required to download again. However, if you had any computer issues last semester, you are strongly advise you to re-download.
There have been new versions released of SofTest Windows and SofTest Mac. You are also strongly encouraged to run the Mock Exam to ensure your laptop works well with SofTest. New updates for your anti-virus, security settings, or other third-party software may have changed since the last time you used SofTest.
Can I practice using SofTest before the exam?
Yes. After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop. Click the "LAUNCH SOFTEST" button. On the SofTest Start Window, select the "Practice Exam" button. Click "Yes" to take the Practice Exam and then "Yes" again to take it in secure mode. This enables you to familiarize yourself with the SofTest exam environment. You may use the Practice Exam as many times as you wish. Note that the Practice Exam cannot be saved and cannot be used until SofTest is registered.
What Should I do Prior to Exam Day?
- Register SofTest on the computer you intend to use on exam day by the deadline.
- Ensure: (1) that your PC meets the specifications listed above, (2) that there is plenty of free hard drive space, (3) that your PC is virus free, and (4) that your PC is free of disk errors by running SCANDISK (click Start Button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk or Disk Cleanup).
- Once you have installed and registered SofTest, familiarize yourself with the software by utilizing the built-in Practice Exam or the Mock Exam.
- Download your exams. SofTest FlexSite users (i.e. students who download their exams from the Internet) will need to use the Student ID number and password submitted during Step 1 of the registration process.
- Locate your A/C - battery power indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery has at least 20 minutes of charge in it prior to the exam in the event there is a temporary power outage.
- If you encounter issues in your use of SofTest, visit www.examsoft.com/faq
Is there a deadline for downloading ExamSoft onto my computer?
- You must have ExamSoft software your exam templates downloaded to your laptop prior to arriving for your exam.
What Must I do on Exam Day?
- Bring your power cord, battery (in the event of power loss), and an extension cord. If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- Arrive to the exam room at least 30 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer, and begin the launching process.
- Exam files must be uploaded within 60 minutes after exam is over.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- During the exam, use care when highlighting and deleting.
- Students who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or with word processing functions, should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
- ANY ATTEMPT TO DISABLE OR TAMPER WITH SOFTEST'S SECURITY FEATURES WILL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THE STUDENT HONOR CODE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT AND THE SOFTEST SOFTWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY EXAMSOFT ON ITS WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR EXAM. PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND THE APPLICATION. COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXAM WILL NOT BE DELAYED DUE TO A HARDWARE PROBLEM WITH YOUR LAPTOP.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam scores at the end of the academic year.
Office of the Registrar