Technology & Computer Services Support
Staff Computer Help Desk - x. 1555
Student Computer Help Desk - 713.646.2985
After-hours Help Desk - 713.646.2900 (staff/faculty)
Forget your login name and password?
Recover password using STANLEY's Password Recovery Tool
Call Center at 713.659.8040 x. 1555 *
* To expedite your call, please provide the student ID number (e.g. G000#####) printed on your student ID card.
Students should log into STANLEY to get the wireless network key. Go to the Campus Life tab to find the information in the Student Wireless Network channel. The key may be changed each semester.
If you have any further questions, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713.659.8040 x. 1555
Frequently Asked Questions
Return to Top
Will I need a new ID and password to sign into Zimbra?
No. Zimbra will use your existing STANLEY username and password.
How long can I store emails in the junk or trash folders in Zimbra?
The timelines for email aging will be seven days. You will need to review these emails within the 7 days time frame and store them in a separate folder if they are wanted emails.
How long does the Zimbra system take to time out?
The Zimbra webmail client will time out after 4 hours of inactivity for faculty and staff. Student accounts will time out after 60 minutes of inactivity. Composing a message is tracked as activity; as is sending and receiving messages and moving between modules.
Why are there quota limits on my STANLEY e-mail account?
STANLEY is a shared resource actively used by the South Texas College of Law community -- there are about 3000 active accounts at any given time. It is not an unlimited resource and therefore restrictions are applied to keep the service running at an optimal level.
How does one reduce consumption?
Folders should be regularly cleaned up. You may download messages'attachments for historical or academic reasons to local folders on your computer. If your computer's hard disk is not sufficient, you may want to invest in a removable storage device for your PC or Macintosh. Remember to take the time to do backups - your archival information is important.
What if a professor or administrator wants to send email to a student who is currently over quota?
Delivery will be attempted for 2 days, after which the mail will be returned to the sender with an error message
I cannot see my e-mails after I upgraded the Internet Explorer browser
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Press the Alt key to display the Menu bar (or right–click the Address bar and then select Menu bar).
- Tap or click Tools, and then tap or click Compatibility View settings.
- Add stanley.stcl.edu and law.stcl.edu to the Compatibility List.
- Close the box and restart your browser.
How can I setup Zimbra to spell check my email automatically prior to sending?
You can check the spelling of your email before you send it out. Click Spell Check on the compose toolbar.
If you want all messages spell checked automatically before they are sent, enable Mandatory spell check before sending a message on your Preferences > Compose page.
How do return receipts work in Zimbra?
You can flag a message that you write to have a return receipt message sent back to you when the recipient opens your message. When you compose a message you select Return Read Receipt from the Options menu. The recipient can choose to return the read receipt or not.
Users set their Read Receipt Mail on the Preferences > Mail page. The following options can be set:
- Never send a read receipt - When a message is received with a return read receipt request, the request is ignored. The recipient is not aware of the request.
- Always send a read receipt message - A return read receipt message is automatically sent when the message flagged for return read receipt is opened.
- Ask me - Recipients are asked if they want to send the return receipt.
Is there a way to sort my e-mail?
Mail in any folder can be sorted by simply clicking on the header e.g. "From", "Received", "Size" and "Subject".
How do print an email message?
Note: Do not use the browser's File>Print feature. The page will not be well-formatted, and your message may be difficult to read.
- Select the message, click Actions button then select Print.
- In the dialog, choose a printer and click Print to send the message to the selected printer.
How do I access my e-mails from my mobile device?
All mobile devices with an HTML-compatible browser can access Zimbra email, contacts, calendar, and briefcase using the Zimbra Mobile Web Client.
To use the Zimbra Mobile Web Client, open the HTML-compatible browser on your phone and type in the URL: http://law.stcl.edu/zimbra/m/.
If your mobile devices support Microsoft ActiveSync, you can find instructions in the STANLEY - Library tab - Library Computer Services channel.
What if I need more help with Zimbra?
Zimbra has a built-in help resource. Many questions can be found by clicking on the Help icon . If you can't find the answer to your question here, call the South Texas Help Desk at 713.659.8040 x 1555 or send an email to email@example.com.
Who can use STANLEY ?
Currently, STANLEY is available to students, faculty and staff. A valid STANLEY account is required for access to this system.
How do I access the STANLEY portal?
URL: http://stanley.stcl.edu - Input your STANLEY login ID and password to get into the system.
You can also access the STANLEY portal from South Texas web site http://www.stcl.edu.
What are supported browsers?
To log in and use the system effectively, you should be using one of the following Internet browsers
- Internet Expolorer 10+ (Windows only)
- Firefox 30+
- Safari 5+
If you are trying to log in to STANLEY using another browser, you may experience difficulties.
I used to be able to access STANLEY, but I can’t anymore. What’s wrong?
If you don’t access your account for 3 months it will expire. Keep your account active by using it. Contact the Call Center to reactivate your account.
If you graduated more than 10 months ago, your STANLEY account has already been purged from the system. Please contact the Alumni department to become a member of the South Texas College of Law Alumni Community.
How do I change my password?
Log into STANLEY then click on My Account to change your password.
Are there instructions for calendar, group/course studios, etc.?
Yes, step-by-step instructions are located in the Home tab - Need Help with STANLEY channel.
Can I access STANLEY from home or a remote location?
Yes, you can access STANLEY from any computer with a supported web browser and internet connection.
Do I need to log out?
Yes, you should always logout for security reasons so others don’t have access to your personal information. The system will automatically time you out as described in the next section.
Why do I sometimes get timed out of STANLEY?
For security reasons, STANLEY will time out after 4 hours of inactivity for faculty and staff. Student accounts will time out after 60 minutes of inactivity. It takes effect if you are idle and will automatically log you out of the system. As long as you click on something, you won’t get logged out.
Can I use a pop-up blocker?
Pop-up blockers can cause problems with STANLEY. If your browser will not let you enter the STANLEY portal at all - go to the browser preferences and make http://stanley.stcl.edu an allowed site. More instructions can be found here.
Training and Tutorials
Return to Top
Zimbra E-mail Guide
Logging in and logging out:
- Advanced Web Client offers the full set of web collaboration features. The advanced web client works with the newer browsers and the faster internet connections.
- Standard Web Client is a good option when internet connections are slow or users prefer HTML based messaging for navigating within their mailbox. Note: Many of the web client features described in this guidedo not apply to the basic web client
To log in
- To access your email, log into Stanley then click on the E-mail icon to open your emails.
- If you do not log off, your session remains active until the session expires. But if you leave your Web Client open in your browser and do not access it for a period of time, your session may time out and then you will need to log back in.
To log out
- To prevent others from logging in to your email account, you should always use the Log Out link, to close your session.
Using mail system folders
- The system folders are Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, and Trash. You cannot move, rename, or delete these folders. System folders are always displayed at the top of your folder list, followed by any folders you create.
- Inbox - New mail arrives in the Inbox. By default, your Inbox is displayed after you log in.
- Sent - A copy of each message you send is saved in the Sent folder.
- Drafts - Messages you have composed but have not sent can be saved in the Drafts folder. If you open a message in the Drafts folder, it opens in the Compose view.
- Junk - Messages that the spam filter identifies as possibly being junk may be placed in your Junk folder. You can review these messages and either move them or delete them. You can empty the Junk folder by right-clicking the folder and choosing Empty Junk. If you don't delete them, they will be purged after 7 days time frame as specified by your administrator. If you find that you are receiving a large number of unwanted email messages, contact your administrator. Reporting mail as spam helps your email administrator to fine-tune any spam filtering that may be in use at your site. If you find an email message in your Inbox that is spam, you can highlight it and click Junk on the toolbar.
- Trash - Deleted items are placed in the Trash folder and remain there until you manually empty the trash or until the folder is purged within the 7 days time frame.
Creating Away messages
- This feature is also known as an out-of-office auto-reply. You can set a vacation message that automatically replies to people who send you messages when you are out of the office for a extended period of time. That message is sent to each recipient only once, regardless of how many messages that person sends you during the designated vacation period.
- To set a vacation message:
1. Click the Preferences tab.
2. Click the Mail menu.
3. Check Send auto-reply message.
4. In the Send auto-reply message text box, enter the away message to be sent, such as "I am currently out of the office and unable to check my email. I will return on July 10, 2009."
5. Click Save. The away message feature is enabled immediately.
- If you don't set the Start Date and End Date; remember to turn off the away message when you return.
- Mail filters are defined from the Preferences > Mail > Filters menu. Mail filtering allows you to define a set of rules and corresponding actions to apply to incoming mail.
- You can filter your incoming mail messages to sort them into folders, automatically tag them, forward them, or discard them. When an incoming mail message matches the conditions of a filter rule, the corresponding actions associated with that rule are applied. For example, you could define a filter rule to identify mail coming from your professor and move it to a folder called "Tort I" or to automatically move messages from a specific address to the Trash folder.
- Each incoming message is tested against your filter rules at the time that the mail is delivered and the filter actions are applied to matching messages at that time.
- Filter rules are not case-insensitive, meaning that the rules ignore capitalization.
- Three of the comparison methods for filter conditions are Contains, Matches, and Is. These options appear for some items such as the subject line.
- Wildcards can be used in comparisons that use the "Matches" comparison operator. The two wildcard characters are * and ?
- To create or edit a new filtering rule:
1. Click the Preferences tab.
2. Open the Mail > Filters menu and click New Filter.
3. The Add Filter dialog displays.
4. In Filter Name, type the name for the rule.
5. In the If the following conditions are met area, choose a grouping preference.
+ Any conditions means that if any of the conditions in the filter are met, apply the action.
+ All conditions mean that all of the conditions in the filter must be met in order to apply the filter action.
- You can also create a new filter from an email message. Right-click on the message, choose New Filter. The Edit Filter dialog displays with From, To, and Subject set with this information from the email message. If the filter conditions are correct, give the filter a name and click OK.
Import/export local contacts or address book
- Personal address books in our current web-based mail system on STANLEY cannot be transferred. You will need to print your address book prior to May 22 if you want to retain the information. To copy your personal address book:
1. In the STANLEY email program click on Addresses to display the address book
2. Use your mouse to highlight all the entries
3. Right-click and choose Copy
4. Open Microsoft Word or WordPad
5. Right-click and choose Paste (this will take a minute or two)
- If you have been using Netscape or Outlook IMAP, your contacts are stored locally and you should be able to find them where you last saw them. To export your contacts:
If you are using Outlook IMAP, click on File - Import/Export..., choose Export to a File, click next and then choose Comma Separated Value (Windows), click next and highlight the file you are attempting to export, most likely it is called the Contacts. Click next, choose where to store the file and click finish.
If you are using Netscape, open your Address Book, click Tools -Export... Choose a file name and change the Save As� to Comma Separated, click Finish.
- To import your contacts into Zimbra:
1. Click on Preferences in the Web Client
2. Click on Import/Export
3. In the Type:, select Contacts
4. Designate the destination and source file and click Import.
- You can create signatures for your email messages. Your signature can contain text along with your name. For example, if the email is business related, you may want to add additional contact information with your signature. If you use mail identities, you can have a different signature for each mail identity.
- When you compose a message, a Signatures button appears in the toolbar. Clicking that button adds the signature you created for the mail identity you are using to your message.
- To create a signature:
1. Click Preferences and select Signatures tab
2. In the Signature column, click on Edit to create a signature
3. When finish, click Done then Save
- If you select the HTML signature; you must compose your message using HTML format. If you want to display a departmental graphic in your signature, please contact the Staff Computer Help Desk at X1555.
Viewing an Attachment
- Email messages can include attached files, such as the following:
+ Word procesing documents
+ Text files
+ .zip files
+ Images (.bmp, .jpg, etc.)
+ Executable applications
+ Any other type of computer file that resides on the sender's computer network
- Messages containing an attachment have a paper clip icon displayed next to the subject.
- To view an attachment, click on the download link to open a dialog prompting you to open or save the file.
+If you choose Save to Disk, a browse dialog appears showing your file system. Choose a location and save the file. You can then open the file outside of your email client.
Return to Top
Technology and Computer Services